2002 BIENNIAL CONFERENCE - BIRMINGHAM, AL
Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama
Saturday, October 12 - Tuesday, October 15, 2002
"Building Best Practices - Taking the Next Step"
Hotel Reservation Information and Transportation Details
The two conference hotels are within 2 miles of Samford University, where all programs will be housed. No conference sessions are scheduled at the hotels; transportation will be provided between hotels and Samford.
Two hotels have been reserved for the conference. Please state that you are attending the National Conference of Governor's Schools conference to receive the reduced rate.
- 1-800-331-3131 or (205) 943-0044
- 50 State Farm Parkway
- Homewood, AL 35209
- Studio/one bedroom suites $89.00 (includes breakfast)
- Two bedroom suites $129.00 (includes breakfast)
- 1-800-321-2211 or (205) 879-0400
- 500 Shades Creek Parkway
- Homewood, AL 35209
- King or two double beds $79.00
Both hotels are a short distance from Samford University and the Interstate 65 Lakeshore Drive exit. The Residence Inn is about 1 mile to the west of the exit, and the Courtyard is approximately three miles to the east of the exit on Lakeshore Drive (Shades Crest Pkwy).
- Air Travel
- The Birmingham Airport is served by most major airlines.
- Rental cars are available at (or near) the airport from most major rental agencies.
- To and From Airport
- Taxi/shuttle service is available to both hotels for about $20 one way.
- Remember Birmingham's role in the Civil Rights Movement with a visit to the downtown Civil Rights District (Civil Rights Institute; Sixteenth Street Baptist Church)
- Revisit the charms of the Old South with a visit to Arlington Antebellum Home and Garden
- Renew acquaintances, welcome new members and programs, and share in a collegial atmosphere of like-minded education professionals
- Reports from the States: individual reports from participants representing the different states.
- Increasing diversity representation in our programs
- Alumni issues: maintaining relationships over the long term
- Discussions on the impact of 9/11 on programs and students
- Charting the future of the organization
- Progress reports on the national evaluation project
- Board of Directors meeting and progress reports
- General sessions with keynote addresses on thematic topics
- Breakout sessions for faculty, residential staff, administrators, and new directors
Who Should Attend
- Administrative, faculty, and staff representatives from any summer residential Governor's School
- Two representatives from each state for the Board of Directors meeting on Saturday afternoon (Please designate your representatives ahead of time to the Executive Committee.)
- Anyone interested in establishing or re-establishing a Governor's School program
For Additional Information
- Review this Web site, www.NCoGS.org, for updates.
- Contact a member of the Executive Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org, for details.
- Visit the Samford Web site, www.Samford.edu, for campus information.
- Preview the Birmingham Visitor's Guide, www.BirminghamAL.org.